Wellstone City grew up too quickly to hold a large airport; by the time air travel was hitting its high point in the 30’s, there just wasn’t room for a full-scale airport on the island. A smaller strip was added to the Spanish Quarter in 1948. There was talk of putting one in close to the Waterfront when the hurricane of 1953 destroyed half of the Warrens, but it was decided that there were too many other large airports within a short distance and it was decided to rely on the highways and boats.
Today, however, the Wellstone City Municipal Airport is a hub of smaller jets and turbo-prop airplanes. It largely services commuter flights and freight, but there is a large number of private planes as well as helicopters that are serviced out of the airport.